World Premiere recordings of music from films produced by Ealing Studios during the forties and fifties, and particularly their wonderfully eccentric comedies, probably remain the most endearing, the most loved of all British movies.
Films starred a veritable who’s-who of British characters actors including PETER SELLERS, STANLEY HOLLOWAY, MARGARET RUTHERFORD, JACK HAWKINS, DONALD SINDEN, DENHOLM ELLIOT, STANLEY BAKER, JOHN GREGSON, MICHAEL REDGRAVE, SIDNEY JAMES, DENNIS PRICE, STEWART GRANGER, JOAN GREENWOOD, HERBET LOM and ALEC GUINNESS (who played no less than 8 roles in KIND HEARTS AND CORONETS).
Music performed by one of Britain’s finest orchestras, THE ROYAL BALLET SINFONIA, under the baton of veteran conductor KENNETH ALWYN.
Ideal Classical/Crossover release with many of the composers being better known for their music written for the concert hall.
“There are many memorable, lovingly revived pieces on this superb disc, and throughout the whole programme Kenneth Alwyn and the Royal Ballet Sinfonia deliver polished, enthusiastic performances that mirror the original soundtracks with remarkable accuracy. Tight but well detailed sound and a superb booklet add to the delights of this invaluable retrospective”
1. The Man In The White Suit
2. Passport To Pimlico
3. Passport To Pimlico – The Siege Of Burgundy
4. Passport To Pimlico Finale
5. The Cruel Sea – Prelude And Nocturne
6. Whisky Galore
7. Whisky Galore – Boarding The Stricken Freighter & The Moral Of It All
8. The Captive Heart – The Prisoner’s March
9. The Titfield Thunderbolt
10. The Titfield Thunderbolt – The Triumph Of The Thunderbolt And Finale
11. The Man In The Sky Overture
12. Kind Hearts and Coronets
13. The Lavender Hill Mob
14. Saraband For Dead Lovers
15. The Ladykillers – Main Titles / Mrs. Wilberforce Meets The Professor
16. The Ladykillers – Plots And Preparations / The Robbery
17. The Ladykillers – Disasters And Discoveries / Demise Of The Gang And The Triumph Of Mrs. Wilberforce
18. The Overlanders – The Stampede For Water