Silva Screen Records will celebrate the hit new STARZ series Magic City with the Magic City original soundtrack. The recording features songs by artists including Bo Diddley, Tito Puente, Frankie Avalon and an exclusive recording of “Tenderly” by Patti Austin.
The series is just taking off Stateside and is likely to appear on British TV screens later this year. Set in Miami’s Miramar Playa Hotel leading into the new year of 1959, hotelier Ike Evans (Jeffrey Dean Morgan) conjures up ways to finance his dream. He has essentially sold his soul to the devil, mob boss Ben “The Butcher” Diamond (Danny Huston). Ike’s wife Vera (Olga Kurylenko), a former showgirl, and his three children think he is an honorable man, but he just can’t break his pact with the most dangerous criminal in town. His life is a façade.
The alluring drama features an ensemble cast that also features Steven Strait (City Island), Christian Cooke (Cemetery Junction), Jessica Marais (Packed to the Rafters), Yul Vazquez (The A-Team, American Gangster), Dominik Garcia-Lorido (City Island), Kelly Lynch (Drugstore Cowboy, Charlie’s Angels) and Elena Satine (Just Go With It). Along with Glazer, Geyer Kosinski (Changeling, The Astronaut Farmer) serves as executive producer. Ed Bianchi (Deadwood) was co-executive producer and Dwayne Shattuck (Mad Men) was a producer on the series.
The soundtrack presents a great audio snapshot of the show and the era which it depicts. Series creator Mitch Glazer had this to way about it:
“From Julie London’s purr to Bo Diddley’s muscular blues, from the Dance King of Havana, Beny Moré, to the Genius of Soul, Ray Charles, the soundtrack of Miami Beach 1959 was like the city itself – glamour and heat. Sun- kissed families swam and limboed by the hotel pool to sweet Frankie Avalon by day and hookers, hustlers and gamblers swayed in the same exact cabanas to wild Johnny Otis at night. My hometown was a world of opposites, of extremes: blasting sun or velvety tropical nights, the giddy kiddie pool or the dark caves of the hotel lounges. It was a fantasy built to dazzle tourists and a hard reality of mobsters and the CIA dumping bodies in Biscayne Bay.”
Tracklisting Magic City Soundtrack
1. Bo Diddley – “I’m a Man” – Written by Ellas McDaniel & Koko Taylor
2. Patti Austin – “Tenderly” – Written by Walter Gross & Jack Lawrence
3. Frankie Avalon – “Venus” – Written by Edward H Marshall
4. The Diamonds – “The Stroll” – Written by Clyde Otis & Nancy Lee
5. Tito Puente – “Mambo Gallego” – Written by Tito Puente
6. Albert King – “Drowning On Dry Land” – Written by Maurice Gregory & Allen Jones
7. Johnny Otis – “Willie and The Hand Jive” – Written by Johnny Otis
8. Julie London – “Chances Are” – Written by Al Stillman & Robert Allen
9. Beny More – “Mi Chiquita Quiere Guarachar” – Written by Andres Diaz
10. Lee Morgan – “The Sidewinder” – Written by Lee Morgan
11. Ray Charles – “Moon over Miami” – Written by Joseph A Burke & Edgar Leslie
Magic City will be on sale digitally in the UK from 28/5/12