Starring Ewan McGregor, Christopher Plummer and Melanie Laurent, ‘Beginners’ is the story of a son coming to terms with his elderly father’s news that he has a terminal illness and also a young male lover.
The soundtrack combines classical, piano rags and a beautifully collated collection of ragtime and early jazz.
These include the wonderful piano stylings of Jelly Roll Morton and the seminal Stardust by Hoagy Carmichael.
The original score is composed by Roger Neill (King Of The Hill, Chicago Hope), Brian Reitzell (Red Riding Hood, 30 Days Of Night) and Dave Palmer.
“I remember trying to get something with the romanticism and dreaminess of a George Delarues score, but building it with the more simple notes and harmonies of Jelly Roll Morton’s Buddy Bertrand’s Blues” – Martin Mills (director)
1. Stardust – Hoagy Carmichael
2. Everything’s Made For Love – Gene Austin
3. Bach Suite – Tina Guo, Joseph Meyer, Daniel Rosenboom
4. 1955 – Brian Reitzell, Dave Palmer & Roger Neill
5. Sweet Jazz Music – Jelly Roll Morton
6. That Da Da Strain – Mamie Smith
7. Mamanita – Jelly Roll Morton
8. Moon Waltz – Brian Reitzell, Dave Palmer & Roger Neill
9. Veronica’s Blues – Brian Reitzell, Dave Palmer & Roger Neill
10. Breezin’ Along With The Breeze – Josephine Baker
11. Beginner’s Theme Suite – Brian Reitzell, Dave Palmer & Roger Neill
12. Buddy Bertrand’s Blues – Jelly Roll Morton