iTunes / Apple
After a decade of creating pioneering puppet series made for children, Gerry & Sylvia Anderson took their first steps into live-action, with the 1969 feature film Doppelgänger re-titled outside Britain as Journey To The Far Side Of The Sun). This science-fiction film approached its outer space subject matter with a gritty realism, and would set the tone for what was to be their first live-action television series: UFO.
This new series took as a starting point the pioneering work of Dr Christiaan N. Barnard, the surgeon who performed the world’s first heart transplant operation. In UFO a dying race of aliens travel across vast distances of space to harvest organs from human beings to help ensure their own survival. To combat this threat the United Nations created SHADO, a top-secret organisation utilising the latest technology available to defend the Earth.
To complement the series, the Andersons frequent musical collaborator Barry Gray created a multifaceted score that gave the programme its own musical identity. Elegantly crafted and a firm favourite with Barry Gray fans, the sound of UFO, particularly its ethereal “World Music” closing credits is, quite simply, a joy. Includes a bonus track, Trampoline performed by The Spencer Davis Group from the episode Ordeal.
01. UFO Main Titles
03. E.S.P. from “E.S.P.”
04. Flashback from “Confetti Check A-O.K.”
05. The Choice from “Confetti Check A-O.K.”
06. Space Junk from “Conflict”
07. Straker and the General from “Conflict”
08. A Rose for Sylvia from “Ordeal”
09. Harlington Straker from “Identified”
10. Alien from “Identified”
11. Travelling Home from “Ordeal”
12. The Trip from The Long Sleep
13. Taken from Ordeal
14. Crash Landing / Dreambox from Ordeal
15. The Leisure Sphere from Survival
16. Enemy my Friend from Survival
17. The Affair from The Square Triangle
18. A Day at the Studio from A Question of Priorities
19. Who Are You? / John’s Death from A Question of Priorities
20. UFO End Titles
21. Bonus Track – Trampoline from “Ordeal” – The Spencer Davis Group